I) Job Purpose
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Behavioral Health Adult Services and the Medical Director, this position is to provide psychiatric treatment including, but not limited to: psychiatric evaluations, medication maintenance, and crisis intervention to their clients. This position will provide clinical leadership to the treatment team and clinical oversight for Advanced Practice Registered Nurse and Physician Assistants at various locations. This position will receive day to day administrative supervision by the Program manager of this location, and will receive clinical assistance and supervision from the Medical Director of the organization.
II) Essential Functions
A. Evaluate clients and complete all applicable assessments which are required according to State Standards, and which are deemed appropriate by the Medical Director.
- As a minimum, will complete the Psychiatric Evaluation portion of each person's Multidisciplinary Assessment, update the MDA at least every two years, and update the diagnosis at least every 90 days.
- Will complete psychiatric evaluations and follow-up appointments with individuals as determined by program needs.
- Will update the individual's diagnosis each time it is evident that a diagnosis is incorrect. This will be a constant part of the patient evaluation process.
- Will ensure that the AIMS testing is completed on all individuals who receive anti-psychotic medication.
- Will order lab studies as recommended by MHMR of Tarrant County prescribing guidelines.
B. Provide medication maintenance to those individuals assigned to the physician's caseload.
- Will provide medication reviews and monitor those individuals associated with this site. These reviews will occur according to each patient's individual needs.
- Will order and monitor appropriate lab work for each individual who requires it, according to the individual's needs. Will review lab results prior to the next appointment with the patient.
C. Provide case consultation and prescribe all rehabilitative therapies associated with persons on their caseload.
- Will participate as a member of the Continuous Treatment Team providing clinical leadership to all members of this team.
- Will sign off on each assigned individual's Treatment Plan to prescribe rehabilitative services, which would address the multifaceted needs of the individuals assigned to this site.
- Will recommend services, which may not be available at this location. These recommendations will be recorded in the client record each time a referral is made.
D. Provide Crisis Resolution Services and make appropriate recommendations for other crisis services as needed.
- Will provide face to face crisis intervention for those individuals each time an episode occurs.
- Will consult with Emergency Room physicians each time an individual is referred from the clinic for their services, or in other situations as necessary.
E. Complete all required documentation necessary to ensure compliance with Medicaid, MHMR of Tarrant County, and organizational standards 100% of the time.
Complete a Progress Note for each appointment with individuals serviced to ensure it contains the following information:
- Services rendered
- Date, start time, stop time, and total time
- Relation of services provided to Service Plan
- Response of individual to intervention
- Clinical notes will meet a standard of compliance with payor rules of documentation as measured by audits completed by the billing department and spot check reviews by the Medical Director.
- All notes for services will be completed within 24 hours of the actual services provided.
F. Complete all required training in a timely manner.
- Complete and update all organizational and departmental training as required by the organization.
- Participate in continuing medical education, particularly those activities that enhance knowledge and skills of dealing with this population.
- Attend scheduled Team Meetings with other members of the Treatment Team.
- Attend scheduled physician meetings with the Medical Director.
- Provide clinical training to the other personnel as requested by the Director.
G. Supervising Psychiatrist will consult with Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant whenever there is a need for additional direction in an assessment, diagnosis, treatment planning, or modification of the existing treatment plan. Particularly when it relates to:
- High risk medications
- Medical/legal issues
- Meeting standards to report abuse and neglect
H. Supervising Psychiatrist will collaborate with Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant to maintain the standard of care by ongoing review of progress notes and prescribing practices.
I. Supervising Psychiatrist will collaborate with Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant on the management of clients with complex comorbidity.
J. Supervising Psychiatrist will meet with the with Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant at least monthly to address relevant clinical decision making pertinent to medical aspects of care and prescribing practices.
K. Supervising Psychiatrist will provide bi-monthly training to all Advanced Practice Registered Nurse and Physician Assistants with Medical Director.
L. Supervising Psychiatrist will supervise a minimum of four Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistants and a maximum of seven at various locations.
M. Perform other related job duties or responsibilities as requested or required, whether or not mentioned in the job description.
- Exhibits a willingness to assume additional duties, seeks the guidance of supervisor prior to beginning an unfamiliar assignment
N. Performance standards are performed as applicable with MHMR’s We CARE values “We Connect People in Our Community. We Provide Access to Services. We Link People to Resources. We Empower People.”
O. Perform other job duties or responsibilities as requested or assigned.
III) Knowledge of Laws, Policies/Procedures, Skills, and Abilities
- MHMR Tarrant Services Policies and Procedures
- Texas Department of State Health Services Mental Health Rules and Statutes
- Medicaid Standards
- Texas Mental Health Code
- DSM-5 and ICD-10
- Standards of American Psychiatric Association
- Intimate knowledge of current psycho-pharmacological treatment for mental disorders.
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary staff
- Familiarity with chronic mental health treatment populations and current treatment/care trends.
- Knowledge of current trends in alcohol and drug treatment.
- Ability to work one evening per week as per program needs.
- Willingness to comply with agency guidelines for prescribing psychoactive drugs
IV) Internal & External Customer Service
This position requires correspondence and contact by telephone with persons within the agency and outside the agency such as John Peter Smith Hospital, Trinity Springs Pavilion, Social Security Administration, Texas Rehab. Commission, Public Health Dept., Family Services, and attorneys.
Up to 5%
This position may require temporary or permanent re-assignment to any MHMR of Tarrant County facility as determined by program needs or the Division Chief.
Graduation from an Accredited Medical School and Psychiatric Residency Program
Licensed to practice medicine in the State of Texas
Eligibility for Board Certification (preferred)
Valid Texas driver’s license with an acceptable driving record
Must provide license (if applicable) and official documentation of all educational attainment i.e. Transcript/Degree/Certificate
Pre-employment test including drug and TB Screening, Physical Exam
As a Market Driven employee, you are eligible to participate in MHMR’s employee health benefits program per company policy on your date of hire. Your eligibility for benefits, including the 401(a) (including employer match) and tuition reimbursement will take place per company policy.
*MHMR of Tarrant County (“MHMR”) and its affiliates and subsidiaries have an internal recruiting department. MHMR may supplement that internal capability from time to time with assistance from temporary staffing agencies, placement services, and professional recruiters herein after referred to collectively as “Recruiters"). Recruiters are hereby specifically directed NOT to contact MHMR employees directly in an attempt to present candidates – MHMR recruiting team or other authorized MHMR personnel must present ALL candidates to hiring managers. For more information please visit our website www.mhmrtc.org